Saturday 30 September 2017

Going Sober for October!



October is for more than painting Zombies - Macmillan Cancer Support are having a campaign to raise funds by having social drinkers think about stopping drinking.  There's some good reasons for doing this.  First, it raises money for a damn cause and, secondly, because drinking alcohol is a major cause of cancers in the general population.

Now, please excuse me while I go into "Testify!" mode.

Like most people, I know too many people who have had cancer.  In my case, both my elder brother and my mother died far too young because of it.  Macmillan Cancer Support provides help and advice to those with cancer and their dear ones.  It is a charity that campaigns for better cancer care in the UK.

I have had problems with drinking.  Although these days I would classify myself as a social drinker, in the past it has caused me a great deal of trouble.  It has cost me a degree, a job and several friendships.  I have had health problems, both physical and mental, because of it, culminating in a suicide attempt that left me in a coma for two weeks.  Breaking the habit for this month will help me stop entirely.  If I can raise awareness and money along the way, that's a good thing.

I ask for your support.  If you wish to donate to Macmillan though my giving page, I would be grateful.

If drinking ins't your vice, there's also Stoptober - the NHS campaign to encourage people to stop smoking.

1 comment:

  1. Wow. People tend not to be quite so open.... Kudos for putting that up there, I'm imagining that it either took a long time to write, or a long time thinking about writing it.

    Anyway, using the somewhat trite, insufficient medium of a comments box; 'good luck'.

    ReplyDelete