I've been considering what figures to use.
- Maoris - too expensive to source.
- Aztecs - too fiddly to paint
- Inca - Foundry's Inca are nice and aren't too complex in dress
- Native Americans - some nice ones about, but most include firearms
- HYW troops. A real possibility.
- Cavemen - I do need to get me some cavemen!
But we have a winner. Vikings! Why? Well, for several reasons...
- Well durr! Vikings!!!
- Easy to source - my Friendly Local Hobby Store stocks Gripping Beast
- Cheap to source (ie, there are plastics)
- The Wife and I are both interested in the period
- They will cross-over into other games (in particular Frostgrave, for which I am still building up a pool of fighters).
- Ernest Borgnine!
Now for various reasons I can't just nip out to the shops and buy said Vikings. So what do I do while I'm saving up? Well, a rummage in the Shed of Delights has resulted in the discover that I have almost three quarters of a box of Perry's Ansars still on their sprues and that I haven't even touched my box of Frostgrave Cultists! I'm sure I can bash some warbands out of those...
Anyone got any other suggestions of cheapish pre-gunpowder troops? I'd need about forty or so, including chiefs and heroes armed with a mix of short- and long-arms. Potential cross-over into Frostgrave would be a big plus.