Friday 19 February 2016

Treasure!

I recently painted the following treasure tokens, primarily for use in Frostgrave, but possibly also handy for Pulp settings.






They're produced by Ristul's Extraordinary Market (sold in the UK by Bad Squiddo Games).  And are full of great details – magic swords, war hammers, potions, crowns, jewels and, above all, GOLD!  And that's why I ended up submitting them the L'amour round of the Analogue Painting Challenge.

Like many others, I've found it a challenge to find suitable subjects for Curt's bonus rounds.  Not that I think that should be a matter of complaint - I think a good deal of the fun in the rounds is in seeing how the participants justify their entries!

In my case it was because as I painted the tokens, the line "Give pounds and crowns and rubies*, but not your heart away" came to me.

When I Was One-and-Twenty
BY A. E. HOUSMAN

When I was one-and-twenty
       I heard a wise man say,
“Give crowns and pounds and guineas
       But not your heart away;
Give pearls away and rubies
       But keep your fancy free.”
But I was one-and-twenty,
       No use to talk to me.

When I was one-and-twenty
       I heard him say again,
“The heart out of the bosom
       Was never given in vain;
’Tis paid with sighs a plenty
       And sold for endless rue.”
And I am two-and-twenty,
       And oh, ’tis true, ’tis true.

*You will notice that my memory was only approximate!

So with the addition of a suitable fluff (which people seem to have enjoyed), that was my entry.  Go and check it and the others out - and don't forget to vote for your favourites!

2 comments:

  1. Splendid, must have a closer look at Bad Squid Games as these could prove to be very versatile.

    ReplyDelete